Job Title: Histotechnician
Status: Full-time, Permanent (40 hours/week)
Location: San Diego, CA
Reports to: Histology Supervisor
This is an exciting opportunity to join a brand new, state-of the-art CLIA laboratory focused on accelerating biomarker and drug development. The Histotechnician is responsible for specimen processing and producing complete, reliable and accurate products to the pathologists, both internal and external to AcelaBio.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Interprets physician notes and when clinical information is contradictive or missing, obtains required information.
- Determines specimen adequacy for all histology samples.
- Receives, accesses, or rejects all specimens by following standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Performs data entry of case information into the appropriate computer system, ensuring that all identifying information is accurate and in the appropriate format.
- Processes, embeds, cuts, stains, performs special stains, recuts, and coverslips all specimens received into the laboratory.
- Reviews control slides to ensure proper staining patterns.
- Prepares stock reagents for use on manual and automated processes.
- Performs calibration of equipment as required.
- Checks and monitors pH of solutions, temperatures, and room environmental conditions (e.g. humidity) on a regular basis and documents the value for each on the proper chart/log.
- Performs and documents daily, monthly, quarterly, & annual maintenance activities.
- Transmits patient data via laboratory information system protocol.
- Performs all housekeeping duties in the work area and laboratory.
- Checks, orders, and restocks supply inventory to ensure timely processing of each specimen.
- Participates actively in all laboratory quality management functions.
- Assists the supervisor in the creation, revision, retirement, implementation, and annual review of SOP’s
- Respects the confidentiality of patient records.
- Disposes of and properly handles sharps, reagents, biological and/or hazardous waste in a manner that is consistent with laboratory, state, and federal regulations.
- Utilizes, maintains, troubleshoots and documents equipment maintenance, according to checklist, to ensure proper performance of equipment.
- Follows laboratory requirements to file, retain, or destroy tissue, blocks, slides, logs, and paperwork.
- Coordinates workload to maximize productivity and quality of work based upon metrics.
- Completes all procedures expected in the scheduled time without loss of work quality.
- Notifies management regarding trends, changes, or problems as they occur.
- Adheres to SOP’s, work area instructions, and policies related to Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and FDA guidances and compliance requirements.
- Follows the College of American Pathologist (CAP) requirements for performing proficiency testing and reporting results.
- Participates in training/teaching as requested.
- Attends meetings and participates on committees as requested.
- Possesses high standards for organization and quality.
- Assists with departmental projects as assigned by management.
- Reviews current literature and attends training sessions to keep informed of new developments in the field.
- Conducts business in a manner that puts the lives of our patients and the relationships with our clients as the highest priority.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as directed.
- HT or HTL certification from the ASCP or equivalent work experience.
- High School Diploma/GED with equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience performing Histotechnician tasks